Dive into the comprehensive guide on leveraging your American Express card to purchase Bitcoin and a plethora of other cryptocurrencies through BitPay, ensuring a swift, secure, and efficient crypto buying process.
American Express is a trusted and popular credit card brand known for its exclusive membership perks, travel rewards and more. But it’s also a great way to buy Bitcoin and over 60 other cryptocurrencies. AMEX doesn’t currently offer any direct crypto trading services through its website. However, you can easily link your card to certain exchanges and start loading your wallet with crypto in about as much time as it takes to say “Don’t leave home without it”.
Steps to buying Bitcoin and other crypto with your AMEX card
In order to use your AMEX card to buy Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies, you must purchase through a crypto marketplace like BitPay BitPay only partners with trusted, vetted exchanges, so the process is always fast, easy and secure, requiring only a few steps.
Step 1: Get the BitPay app
If you don’t have it already, download the BitPay app from your app store of choice. Or, simply scan the QR code below.
Step 2: Tap “Buy Crypto”
From the app’s home screen, simply tap the “Buy” button to purchase crypto through your AMEX card. You’re not limited to only buying Bitcoin, BitPay supports more than 60 of the most popular cryptocurrencies and stablecoins including Ethereum (ETH), Dogecoin (DOGE), Litecoin (LTC) and more.
Step 3: Choose an amount and the cryptocurrency you want to purchase
Input the amount of fiat you want to convert to crypto, and choose the coin you wish to convert it to.
Step 4: Choose “Credit Card” as your payment method
Not only can you buy crypto with your AMEX card through BitPay, you can also link your bank account, debit card, Apple Pay, Google Pay, or some alternative methods (pending availability).
Step 5: Review your available offers
Because BitPay has partnerships with multiple crypto marketplaces, you can be sure you’ll always get the best possible rates for your purchases. No fees, no excessive markups. Scan through the offers the app presents you with and choose the best one for you. You’ll automatically be taken to one of BitPay’s partner websites to enter your credit card details to enter your American Express card details and complete the transaction.
Start buying crypto with your AMEX card
Bonus: Buying crypto with AMEX on BitPay.com
For those crypto buyers that prefer to make their purchases online rather than in the app, the BitPay.com website provides an equally seamless buying experience.
Step 1: Enter an amount of Bitcoin you’d like to buy
Input your preferred amount of Bitcoin or the amount of local currency you’d like to convert.
Step 2: Enter your wallet address
Send crypto to any wallet. Enter the address where you’d like to receive your cryptocurrency. Need a wallet? Store securely with BitPay’s self-custody wallet.
Step 3: Choose the “Best Offer” rate
BitPay aggregates offers from multiple partners and highlights the offer with the lowest fees and best exchange rate. Just look for the “Best Offer” flag. Once you’ve chosen your preferred offer, you’ll be taken to one of our partner sites to enter payment details and complete the transaction. Your crypto assets will be delivered quickly as soon as your payment clears.
To ensure the best possible buying experience when paying with your American Express card, select offers provided by Sardine.
Benefits of buying crypto with your AMEX card via BitPay
- High limits – Purchase up to $3,000 worth of crypto every 24 hours
- Many options – Choose from more than 60 cryptocurrencies across the top blockchains
- Secure, self-custody experience – Full control of your crypto and private keys with no third-party custody
- Fast delivery – Purchased crypto is quickly transferred to your wallet of choice
Which cryptocurrencies can I buy with my AMEX card?
Whether you prefer to use the BitPay app or website, you can buy more than 60 top cryptocurrencies and stablecoins using your AMEX card. Some of the most popular include:
Ways to use your crypto after buying in the BitPay app
Now that you’ve used your AMEX card to get your hands on some crypto, you might be wondering some of the things you can do with it. Whether you’re a crypto newbie or an experienced HODLer, BitPay offers many different ways to save, spend and swap.
Store securely with self-custody
Most experienced crypto users live by the “not your keys, not your crypto” ethos. This basically means whoever controls a wallet’s private keys is the true owner of its contents. Some popular web-based exchanges like Coinbase and Kraken offer custodial wallet service. While both are trusted and well-established companies, wallet security best practices dictate you should never keep large amounts of cryptocurrency in a custodial wallet.
BitPay offers self-custody management, meaning nobody but the wallet’s owner will ever have access to its private keys or the assets it contains. This gives many crypto users invaluable peace of mind when looking to securely store their holdings.
Now comes the fun part. If you’re itching to flex those newfound crypto spending muscles, BitPay offers a wide range of options.
- Pay directly – BitPay partners with hundreds of well-known merchants, brands and service providers which accept direct crypto payments. Just some of these include AMC Theaters, ExpressVPN, Microsoft, Hublot and more. Check out our searchable Merchant Directory for a complete listing of partner merchants. Read more about how to pay with crypto.
- Buy gift cards – If you’re shopping for that perfect gift but your favorite store or brand doesn’t accept crypto payments directly, don’t sweat it. BitPay makes it as simple as a few taps to buy gift cards from hundreds of brands like Uber, Home Depot, Hotels.com and many more. First choose the store and the amount of your gift card through the BitPay app or Google Chrome extension. Then pay for it with your preferred wallet and cryptocurrency and voila, your gift card is instantly delivered.
- Sign up for the BitPay Card – If you plan on using cryptocurrency to pay for everyday purchases, the BitPay Card puts some serious crypto spending power right in your wallet or phone.
New applications are currently paused but you can enter your email to join the waitlist and be among the first to know when the BitPay Card is available to new and returning cardholders.
- Pay bills with crypto – Nobody likes dealing with inconvenient banks or costly wire transfers just to pay their bills. The good news is now you don’t have to. With BitPay you can pay virtually any bill straight from your crypto wallet, from credit cards to car payments to mortgages. BitPay can automatically sort and organize your bills. Then all you have to do is choose your wallet and cryptocurrency and tap to pay. You’ll even receive a payment confirmation directly within the app.
- Swap – Cryptocurrency is much more than digital money; it’s also a gateway to countless projects and communities you can participate in. But in order to take part, most require you to hold at least a nominal amount of their ecosystem’s cryptocurrency. If you want to earn passive income through decentralized finance (DeFi), for example, you’ll need to get your hands on some Ethereum or another compatible cryptocurrency. With the old method of obtaining smaller, more niche coins and tokens, users first had to exchange fiat for a more popular crypto like Bitcoin. Then, they’d have to exchange their Bitcoin for some of the smaller coin. This inefficient process usually meant paying multiple exchange fees along the way. Within the BitPay app, you can swap nearly any cryptocurrency for any other with a few taps.